Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rent Some Books Today

Over the years, my reading habits have changed dramatically. From reading more than a one novel per week, to barely consuming one in the month's time most libraries allot. I've been in this town for a year and I haven't even made it to the library here, yet. In fact, I steal some time and duck into the used bookstore, buying four or five books- and then they collect dust until I make the time to read them.
Remember I told y'all the bookstore in our town closed, so now it's not working out to drive 25 minutes just for used books.
I'm trying out an online library-like service called BooksFree.com. They have an impressive collection of everything from horror to graphic novels, mystery and humor. There's no time limit or late fees. Two books at a time will cost $9.99 per month and plans go up from there. They also have plans for audiobooks.
The two books I chose came within four days. That was a sweet treat. Return mailer included!
When I'm done reading, I have the option of sending them back and get more or I can purchase one or both* books at a discount.
I think if you are not a book keeper/coveter/hoarder like I'm becoming, it's a very handy service to keep your cycle going to receive more books from your list.
There are two parts of this service that I didn't care for and they somewhat go hand-in-hand.
The good part is that you can donate your like new books and get a $1.00 credit towards the purchase of another. My disappointment is this: Between the books donated and the fees charged, one would think they'd buy a newer copy of "Drawing Blood" by Poppy Z. Brite, because the one they sent me is beat. up. *It's limited availability so I don't have the option to buy it, but I wouldn't anyway.
My other book was immaculate, thus redeemed the service.
Overall, I love that the site has multiple ways to search both the books and audiobooks. I was pleased they were prompt. With several monthly plans and ga-zillions of titles, BooksFree.com is a great way to rent books.
The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:
Technorati Tag:

0 comments: