Sunday, July 01, 2007

Moving Doesn't Have to be a Hassle

Having moved from Indiana to South Carolina, from South Carolina to Louisiana and back to Indiana again, I can tell you with in a somber tone that MOVING IS A PAIN!
After the first move, I developed a dread, heck it's almost a phobia of moving.
We looked for jobs that would help foot the bill for relocation. Those are few and far between. So where is a family to begin? I always began by purging the accumulation of junk. It's amazing how freeing a yard sale can be. If you don't have the time or inclination to put a yard sale together, donating items to Goodwill, Salvation Army, local churches or women's shelters are a fantastic way to help a community and will save you time.
I've heard both good and bad reviews about moving companies. I've heard horror stories about lost goods, damaged stuff, and scratched walls. On the other hand I've heard that there are ways to help protect yourself and your stuff. Finding a licensed mover is step one.
You may have to find auto transport for that rebuilt 1968 GTO that you're not willing to part with.
I've never had deal with international shipping, but I can just bet that's a whole 'nuther bag 'o cats. Culture and language would be only one hurdle. I can only imagine the mountain of paperwork that involved. Relocation.com has a library of useful guides, one of which is an Overseas Guide. They even have guides on home improvement once you get settled.
That's the next guide I'll the reading.
Anything to spruce up an 1870's bungalow?

The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:

0 comments: