Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thoof? Sounds Good!

There's an innovative website with a strange-sounding name that helps you get personalized news every minute of the day.
Personalize your page, click a title to read. You can add tags (and click more to follow) or suggest a change to a story blurb. On this silly-sounding website you can even add your own story.
It all sounds very cool, and I'm glad to see it's striving to be more genteel and humane than Digg, etc. Yet, I can't help but wonder why on earth a few gentlemen founders would call this site THOOF. I have this theory that they were laying on their front room floors, chins in hands, glued to the TV set as children, mesmerized by the old Batman shows.
Yes, I can picture it now? Can't you?
Their poor mothers wringing dishtowels in the kitchen and secretly wishing they'd get bored or sickened by the sight of "POW!" and "BAM!" and turn the channel to Sesame Street.
Their fathers hollering, "Don't sit so close to the tv," and mumbling such gems as rotting brains and bad eyesight.
These little ruffians were determined. They were not going to budge until the last gut-punch was thrown and the last villain doubled in pain, clutched his stomach and bellowed "THOOF!"
And this silly tale wouldn't be complete without a badge for the heroes...
A ThoofRank Badge to add to your site. Submit a story, get your badge...
... Almost as good as a secret decoder ring!

The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:

0 comments: