Friday, August 31, 2007

Teens and Texting

There were several misunderstandings that lead to a cell phone bill totaling over $70.00 just for the texting between Kiddo and BF.
(everyone gasps as ominous music rumbles)
I had taken off the media plan on two of the phones that had been a requirement to get the rebates on the new Samsungs we purchased more almost two months ago. At this point there were already $15 worth over overages under that plan.
I was clueless.
I do tell Kiddo that her and BF don't need to be texting any more than twice a day. That would keep the bill tame.
Or so I thought. Maybe I was too vague.
She casually mentions that her and BF text WAY more than twice a day.
(I probably was only half listening at this point. Y'all know how a teen girl can go on and on with a story.)
..Did I not just say twice a day?
The bill reflects that some days they texted (is that a verb?) ten times a day. I do not fib.
Again, I was probably only half listening when the BF said to put the texting plan on Kiddo's phone and he'd pay for it. My logic for not doing that was this: if they stay to only texting twice per day, then nobody has to pay $10.00 per month for texting. 15 cents per text wouldn't add up to $10.00.

There are morals to the story and consequences follow:
First: self education. I didn't know we would be charged for incoming and outgoing texts.
Listen to your children, even if they are long-winded. (or gently tell them to get-to-the-point-before-I'm completely senile)
Remember to ask just how much is "way more."
Definitely let BF pay for texting plan the first time he offers.
Teach teen to count in increments of 15.
When laying down law, speak directly to all children involved, stating clearly what the rule is.
Consequences (subject to change...'cause I'm Mom): BF pays us $30, mows the lawn and helps to clean debris from attic. Kiddo dusts entire house, help sort thorough bins for the yard sale, and generally does any chore or list of chores we decide to give her...for a month.
Good 'ole Mom and Dad will eat the remainder of the bill.

The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:
Technorati Tag:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 is not way more than 2. That is nothing. I would say maybe 30 times is a lot. But since they count coming and going that would only be 5 sent messages. I send more in under an hour.