Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Facebook

With limited knowledge thus far, I'm assuming that Facebook is like MySpace for big kids, right? I'm thinking about signing up. Might be another way to gain some exposure for this blog. Secretly I hope to find a few Indiana kindred spirits.
Two things lately have drawn me to Facebook one was a post at PayPerPost encouraging posties to join, and the other was a story on Good Morning America.
This morning I caught most of the segment while doing laundry. "Weeding Out Roommates on Facebook."

"What I saw on Facebook was a lot of alcoholic beverages in the background, a lot of liquor bottles, beer bottles, kind of lewd behavior," Mueller said.

Mueller took action by helping her daughter file a formal request to the college's housing office demanding a change. She isn't the first parent to do so.

(from a mom)
Now I thought that was some good detective work on the parent's part. I can see where the whole "code" thing is a bit overboard. A kid needing financial help doesn't make for an intolerable roommate. Living with fledgling alcoholics however, seems like a lot to ask of a first year student, no matter how strong his study skills, or steadfast his resolve. That isn't a matter of apron strings at all.
What Anne Pleshette Murphy said was to take Facebook profiles "with a grain of salt," and ...

A good way to prove this is to look at your child's page to see whether it paints an accurate picture, Murphy said.

"Most likely, you'll find that there are more than a few liberties," she said.

In the end, I'm just glad to know this: "I know of no school that won't allow students to change roommates," Murphy said."
The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:
Technorati Tag:

0 comments: