Help for Fleas Please
This is the first summer we've ever lived in town. This is also the first summer we haven't had to contend with FLEAS! Worst place for fleas that we've lived so far: Louisiana. Swamps, bayous and humidity are the perfect conditions for the little buggers. I swear, I wondered what stopped the second outbreak of the plague. The whole family was miserable. It took combating it on multiple levels for two straight days to eliminate them.
I cringe at using chemicals to control the dog and cat fleas. No matter what you buy, read the instructions! Some of these things can harm pets and children.
We tried the salt trick and the alcohol trick. Spraying/sprinkling both all over the yard and house...with minimal results.
Over a weekend we:
* Sprayed outdoor lawn/yard control chemicals on the porch stairs, under the porch, around the perimeter of the house and any shaded and/or sandy areas.
* Sprinkled flea carpet powder over every fuzzy surface, including furniture. (Be sure to add some to your vacuum cleaner bag before you begin.) Let stand for 12 hours.
* Bathed the pets.
* Washed pet bedding, our bedding and all the laundry
* Vacuumed thoroughly. Swept mattresses, under beds, inside closets, curtains and porches.
* Mopped everywhere else.
* It's worth investing a little money and buy the flea drops that kill not only the fleas, but the eggs also.
* Vacuumed nightly for five days.
My recommendation if all else fails you can, aside from moving from the country and into town (and I've had to do it myself)
**Take the family and the pets to Grandma's and bomb the house.
The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:fleas







2 comments:
Aloha! Found you on MyBlogLog page. I - ahem - happen to be a licensed pest control operator who started my career in Louisiana. I'd be remiss if I didn't advise you to seek a professional to help with the fleas, but you're doing a great job on your own. A pro would only do the pesticide applictions and would advise you to do various other things, but you're already doing them!
I've added you to my contacts and joined your community. Be seeing you around!
Hi Skeet!
Always good to hear from a pro :-)
You are a BRAVE woman to have started your career in LA. That state is Big Bug Central.
When we lived there, I had pest control lady come in every month and spray inside and out for the water roaches. (insert "HUZZ" sounds here)
I do remember asking her about the company's course for flea treatment, I don't recall her answers, but in the end I decided DIY...no bombs, only outside spray that would be safe for kids and pets after four hours.
Drop by anytime, Ma'am! I'll keep peeking in on you to see if you've posted any more pix of island men >:-)~
-Jen
Post a Comment