Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Scare Me Stephen King Style!

I remember being on a date when I was a teenager. This was before cable t.v. and we were too poor to go to the theater. My dose of horror came from Stephen King novels. My date knew I loved to be scared, so with all the story-telling ability of a horny hippie, he drove that rusty old Chrysler Cordoba to the crossroads at the edge of our town and began to tell me the story of Hook-Man's Road.
He was good, I was gullible. The headlights were off and thick, dense branches loomed over the two-mile, infamous stretch of road. The car idled at it's own pace, I, curled up in the front seat, listened to the rumbling of the v-8 in one ear while the other ear listened to the story as it rumbled through his chest as I lay against it.
I remember a family with car trouble.
I remember a heroic Father stepping into the darkness in search of help.
The family waits and waits and hears screeching and scratching.
AND BaM... A brother musters the courage to step out and see a bloody hook sticking out of the trunk.
...And I was the backwoods hick teenager, (who in later years still loves to see this urban legend played out in movies) who whimpers "no" and feels the adrenaline in the follicles of her hair when her date decides to stop the car and get out to take a leak.....
That I would be alone in the car when .... (Que spooky music)

And that's just it. THAT'S the "what if" that you know/hope is crap, but maybe it's not.
It's the premise for 1408 Movie. Based on Stephen King's story (WOOT!) and starring John Cusack and Samuel Jackson.
Check out the trailer

At the bottom of the 1408 Movie site, there is a spot to click King's books and you can listen to him read from his story.

If you're aching for a good scare, and I know I am, make plans for the theater on the 22nd.
I think I'm gonna take that date with me to see it. You see, I married him...and that's scary! ;-)

The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:

0 comments: