Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Beginners Guide Arthritis - My Introduction

Before I begin this journey, there's a few things I'd like you to know about me. You'll find I don't care for doctors. I've never had decent luck picking one or even had an enlightened conversation with one. Here's a post from last year, for an example. It's not about arthritis, but you'll get a better picture of where I'm coming from.
I'd also like you to know that I'm leaning toward a holistic/natural/nutritional way of dealing with my aches and pains rather than just "here's a script for the newest painkiller" or coming at me with a needle.
Rarely do we have health insurance. The last time we had family coverage, it was $80 per week and I used it once for a office visit and still had a $50 copay. Currently, we have none. (So you know I'm looking for inexpensive solutions.)
With that, I welcome you to come with me as I search the net and other resources to educate myself about arthritis and incorporate the knowledge into everyday diet, exercise and general-self care. The goal, of course is to be pain free (as close as possible) and try to protect myself from further damage.

Eight years ago, I found myself sitting on a high table in a doctor's exam room dangling my bare right foot in the face of a guy so young-looking I wondered if he'd had time to attain any medical degrees at all.
My foot was hurting so bad, I thought I'd broke/kinked/mangled something in the ball of it (and a couple toes) at work, though I hadn't dropped anything on it. There wasn't one incident I could point to that I could say, "Yup, that's what happened."
Dr. BabyFace inspected my piggies and proclaimed, "If you don't stay off that foot, you're going to need cortisone shots to walk when you're older."
Lovely.
Not long, maybe a year after that, worse pain, this time in my back. Twice a week for months I'm at the chiropractor getting popped and riding the table with the rollers in it. Eating handfuls of Vioxx and Celebrex and Naproxen (the script version) during these two episodes did the trick, I assumed.
Eventually, I stopped hurting.
Other episodes included popping a rib out of place. Having it popped back in was torturous. I think they gave me Demerol or Darvocet. (As memories come and go, I'll add to this list, I'm sure.)
In the last two months I've really tore myself up on two different jobs. I quit them both. It's been two weeks since I worked the warehouse job, yet my left arm is, well, not right (HA!) Sometimes the pain brings tears to my eyes. I've been taking OTC Naproxen (generic Aleve), but now that's giving me heartburn and upset stomach. Plus, it wasn't truly taking care of the pain.
Here's where the research really begins!
My sister suggested Glucosamine...
...In Part One I'd like to research the supplements for arthritis.

The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glucosamine is good for the joints. My sister recommended it some time ago. I've been taking it for a a few months now. I feel ya with the doctors. I hate going. I also believe in alternative and natural healing, but haven't extensively researched it. Good luck with your findings and hope you feel better soon.

ZenJen~ said...

Do you think the Glucosamine is helping you? What's been your experience with it so far?
I'm going to try to research all I can about the Alternative & Natural aspects. Haven't been by your blog recently...hope your knees aren't too much trouble. I'll visit ya shortly ;-)
-Jen