Thursday, September 21, 2006

Website Trauma

In the post below, I introduced my new website.
I'm taking it back...all of it.
Web"master" is NOT the word I'd use to describe myself.
Originally, I didn't want to go the premade template route, so I downloaded NVU. It's a website builder based on a Mozilla-something-or-other, somewhat like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, but it's free. After reading an working through the tutorial at The Site Wizard, I thought I had last least the beginnings of a working knowledge of the thing.
Over the course of two weeks of three days each, I've come to the realization that I've brought home a circus elephant and I can't make it do tricks.
Just about the time I thought I had it whipped into shape, I ran into a snag trying to upload a background, and at the same time, realized the website was never going to look the same in IE and Firefox. The NVU forums were of little help when they were talking about uploading the background though a different FTP, blahblah....bleh.
They lost me. And honestly, I was done reading. It was beyond my ability to comprehend, or my desire to care.
So, I'm cheating. I'm going the template route with Website Tonight though Godaddy.com. Maybe it'll be fun again.
NVU isn't a bad program. If you have the time and the inclination (and your more web"master" savvy than I am) download it and give it a try. I didn't hear a peep out of Norton when I downloaded it.

I'll let ya'll know when I get the site up and running again.




Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath, John-Boy
The Happy Medium

0 comments: