(Not) Writing (and other) Guilt
Indecisive - One word describes the day I had yesterday.
The subtitle of the post could be "My Inner Child Is Lazy, Yet Persuasive"
My Inner Child is about six years old. She wears a green and blue plaid dress, white socks with ruffles, black shoes and has long handlebar pig-tails. She reminds me of a cute, but sneaky brat I used to babysit for.
She woke up yesterday at the same time I did. She wanted soup for breakfast. After about an hour, I caved and made her a bowl. It was devoured mindlessly, while checking e-mail and gearing up to work on blogging, MQ stuff and the new website.
Guilt, who has been making an appearance more and more over the last week, rolled out of bed and began putting on the tights to Will-Power's super-hero costume. He smells vaguely like Lord Calvert.
He staggered into the front room and bellowed with an Irish accent, "Why aren't you balancing the checkbook and paying the bills?"
Inner Child, who'd been blog surfing, jumped, startled by his gruff voice. She loathes Guilt, but she's terrified of money, so she scampered to a corner in the kitchen and cowered. I followed her, knelt down and spoke to her softly while Guilt got himself a cup of coffee and a cigarette.
I coaxed Inner Child out of the corner with two pieces of buttered, whole grain toast. The food quelled her sobs and she went back to the computer, muttering about being sick to death of doing - doing chores, doing the website, in fact she's pretty sure she's still in shock from the move, yet there's Guilt, always in her face waving one more bit of paperwork to be filed - one more phone call to be made. She's getting herself all worked up again.
She's about to pitch a fit.
I left her stew and went out to the patio to have a cigarette with Guilt.
"Do you know where Will-Power and Roux-tine are?"
"Do you know it's almost 3 p.m. and you haven't started any laundry?"
I looked him square in the eye, "Answer the question."
"Only if you promise to start working on greeting card writing again."
"OK...OK! Geez! I promise to start on cards, just as soon as I find Will and Roux. I feel like they abandon me."
"They didn't abandon you, they went on vacation."
"You're kidding?" I should know by now, Guilt never kids. I started to panic.
"Nope. I thought they told you. They should be back later today, so you need to tidy the house before they get here." He belched for punctuation.
At the sound of Inner Child squealing, we both ran back inside.
Will-Power and Roux-tine had come in the front door and Inner Child was hugging each in turn and planting kisses on their cheeks. She loves them both, though sometimes she balks them.
I was instantly relieved to see them. Will, the straight-backed, barrel-chested athlete, with the "can-do" attitude, and Roux, the striking, laid-back, "Everything going work out just fine", New Orleans gentleman.
"Thank the Gods," I thought. "I can't handle any more of this by myself."
"Did she get up with you?" Will asked.
"Yeah. She's been a handful." I said.
"Alright, Be-Be," Roux said to Inner Child, "Let's put you down for a nap." He set his baggage down by Will and scooped her up.
"Maybe now you can get something done." Guilt said from behind me.
Will picked up Roux's baggage with his own, then paused, puzzled, looking at Guilt.
"Why are you wearing my tights?"
Personal
Humor
Writing
Life
We're all better now, John-Boy
The Happy Medium![]()







0 comments:
Post a Comment