Saturday, September 08, 2007

I'm Not Going To Crumble

Subtitle: I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING, DAMMIT!
(Warning: it's a TMI post)
I had yesterday off. Yippee skippy. Two days on the new job and I have to get sick.
I wound up calling my mom at 10 a.m. to drive me to the walk-in clinic because I just knew I had a sinus infection, at least and some kind of fever blister on the outside of one nostril.
After not being able to find the clinic on Michigan Road, we located the one on Ditch Road.
OK fine.
No waiting. Peachy.
The nurse took one look at me and backed away, saying I'd need the blister (that had stared to seep the night before) cauterized.
Cauterized?! I'm not bleeding profusely, woman.
She said other things too. I think she had issues. She sent me away saying what I had was beyond the scope of what they are allowed to treat at that Minute Clinic.
I wouldn't have been surprised if she made the cross symbol with her index fingers and hissed "LEPER!"
Mom and I backtracked once more down Michigan Road in search of the other clinic. Then headed cross counties to Avon. Mom was at that clinic before so she knew right where it was. Getting from NW Indy to Avon is tricky, though.
Finally there. No waiting. I'm making Mom late for work. I pay $114 to hop on the table.
Here' where it gets surreal.
No one asked me if I smoked.
When I said I had a sinus infection, he believed me and didn't give me a lecture about treating allergies every day.
I pointed to my nose and said I have blisters, too. He was immediately, genuinely curious and after inspection, deemed it a staph infection.

Let me recap: I now have a sinus infection and a staph infection.
If you're keeping score at home: My third day of the new job is today.
The positives: Mejier Foods gives away certain antibiotics for FREE-EE!! At least the generic Keflex he prescribed. He also gave me some samples of cream for the blisters. Plus Benedryl, which I had, and Mucinex which is pricey, but worth it.
Mom finally dropped me off at home at 3:15. I was a blubbering mess till around 7 p.m. when the meds kicked in.
Wish me luck at work tonight! I should be fine as long as the generic Keflex doesn't give me diarrhea any worse then I have this morning.
I hope.

The Happy Medium

0 comments: