Deer Hunting Memories

Since we've moved back to Indiana, Daddy-O (the pic above is not Daddy-O) has been aching to go archery hunting again. He never did do any hunting in Louisiana because cajun deer just aren't as plump as Indiana deer. (And also we don't care for the strategy of running deer with hunting dogs, which is legal in LA.)
When Kiddo was between 4 and 7, Daddy-O would take her out, not to hunt, but to build hunting blinds. (She was Daddy's Little Girl, big-time.) Then he and a few hunting buddies would put on a big production of putting on camouflage and tossing all their deer hunting equipment into the trunk of somebody's land yacht and head out to spend the early morning holding ree-eally still while smelling like "doe-in-heat".
Daddy-O and the guys never went trophy deer hunting. (Though I think it wold be uber-cool if, at some point Daddy-O could go to Michigan on a guided deer hunt with Ted Nugent.) The guys always went for freezer-meat. The deer was split between the families.
Flashback...
There was one time Kiddo and her friend were watching their dads gut/dress (I don't know the term, but they were in the garage with leather straps, fillet knives and something cute, fuzzy and dead hanging from the ceiling) a deer and Kiddo came in the house and asking me to come out and watch them. I told her I didn't really want to watch that part, and she said, "Don't worry Mommy. The deer is dead. It can't hurt you."
Another Flashback...
Daddy-O's nephew was living with us and working 2nd shift. He was driving home one night and hit a deer. (No use letting good meat go bad) He put it in the trunk, drove home, and butchered it in my kitchen sink. Imagine my surprise in the morning when I found all this deer hair in the drain. (I'm glad he salvaged the meat, but clean up after yourself-GEEZ!)
Deer jerky, deer stew, deer steaks... UMMM! (Maybe one of these days I'll post my recipe for deer stew in the crock-pot.)![]()
Are you a hunter or trapper? Here's DNR's dates and bag limits...
2006-2007 Indiana Hunting Season

Technorati Tag:Indiana![]()







1 comments:
nice blog and looks like Daddy-O is a hunter. Good luck to him.
Rex
http://www.bodocktimes.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment