Monday, December 11, 2006

A Nit to Pick

A few days ago, our newspaper had an article about children missing school because of lice.
EEWW!! (I'm gettin' the willies just writing about this)
They've decided to revise policy and allow children with nits (lice eggs) to return to school. Those with lice cannot.
Here's the full story.
I don't know why this is aggrivating me.
"Lice seen on pillows, hats or chair backs are not capable of transferring to another person." - Came from Netdoctor - Lice.
also...
"If you are concerned about head lice on carpets or furniture, vacuum them or wipe smooth surfaces with a damp cloth. Notify bus drivers of a head lice outbreak so they can wipe school bus seats with a damp cloth." - Came from A School's Guide to Head Lice.

Here's some interesting facts that will give you the heebee-jeebees, and make you feel like you're fighting a losing battle...
~ "You can work out when the lice first moved in by judging how many centimetres from the scalp you find the nits. Hair grows at about 1cm a month; so a nit 2cm from the scalp was therefore laid about two months ago."
~ "Unfortunately, there is evidence that head lice are becoming resistant to some of the insecticides currently being used..."


Kiddo is going to ring my neck when I tell you this, but years ago we were living in South Carolina, (I think she was in the third or fourth grade)and she came home with a headfull. OMG!! My sisters and I never had lice when we were little, so the only thing I knew to do was buy the Rid and Nix. Treated the whole family, tore her room apart, etc.
Days later, those little buggers came back. I was in tears, she was in tears. I went to work lamenting. A co-worker told me to use mayonnaise. No Kidding?!
You may have heard of this, I hadn't. She told me to slather mayo all through her scalp, cover every strand to the tip (Be generous), wrap the hair on top of her head and use plastic wrap as a turban to keep it secure. Leave it on for at least three or four hours. (meanwhile wash bedding, pillows, clothes, coats. Wipe mattress, vacuum, etc)
My co-worker's explanation was that the mayo smothers the lice and loosens the nits. (I found this same theory on some websites, too)
After Kiddo's head had marinated in mayo, I took the nit comb and a bowl of hot water. It was tedious work dipping the comb then working through a small section of hair at a time, but it worked! She washed, conditioned, blow dried and never had another problem. (And believe me, I kept checking.)
Here's one more site to get some tips, tricks and answers: Headlice.org

Technorati Tag:

0 comments: