Sunday, March 26, 2006

Jobs in the Hurricane Zone

We live just outside the zone where Hurricane Katrina did a great deal of damage in Louisiana. While riding with Daddy-O in the big rig, I got to see some of that damage for the first time, first-hand. Until then, most everything I knew came from local news reports, and some recounts from strangers who'd survived and I listened, teary-eyed, to their stories.

I'm not a political person, so I won't even begin to take a side as to what should've/would've/could've been done and/or how things need to be handled now. What I know is a very simple truth: MOVE FORWARD.

As we drove around and in between the towns of Houma and Harahan, in between blown-away buildings and billboards, I saw something wonderful! There's living going on, thiving going on. There's people working, walking, taking their kids to school, and waiting in line and McDonalds. People are buying and selling cars and houses. To them, their lives may not be normal - as they knew it, but they are moving forward.

The best signs of moving forward that I saw, were big banners on some buildings -
"NOW HIRING"

I wrote some business names (there are more that I didn't get a chance to write) ...maybe in some small way this could help someone. I don't know anything more than they were advertising on the front of their buildings.

JOBS IN HARAHAN:

Off Jefferson Highway, on and around Edwards St.
CONCO
BARNETT
IDEALEASE

on 90 West
CAJUN CONCRETE

JOB IN HOUMA
Highway 316 - Bayou Blue Exit
several different positions
PFG

Also, as you may have heard on the news, fast food places are offering "up to $10.00/hr". Yes, it's true - advertised everywhere.

Doing our part, John-Boy
The Happy Medium

0 comments: