Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Smoking Confession/Cessation

Smoker's Confession - Part 1
I am a heavy smoker. Have been for about 17 years. The only thing stopping me from being a "chain" smoker is that I own a lighter. (And lighting one off the other is a pain...ashes get everywhere) When I say heavy, I mean 2 packs a day. Sometimes a lot more, sometimes a few less. For those of you who've never touched them, that's 40+ per day.

I know I can't do Cold Turkey, even with the patches...been there done that - GAINED 40 lbs!

Baby steps: Yesterday, I started smoking outside. I washed all the ashtrays and put them away. I'm only smoking 1/2 a cig at a time and I'm trying to make it at leat an hour between each. It's been 26 hours since I put my mind toward this and I can count on both hands how many cigs I've had. (normally, I would've sucked up 3 packs in that length of time)

In the Spirit of Accentuate the Positive:
Here are some Good Things that begin to happen to one's body within minutes of quitting smoking.

It's just the beginning, John-Boy
The Happy Medium

2 comments:

Frank Baron said...

Good on ya' Happy Medium. I cut my smoking down pretty dramatically by going outside (or to my garage in winter).

Good luck and stick to it.

ZenJen~ said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement Frank - ya sweetheart!

The tough part really is the "stick-to-it". I haven't been perfect, but I haven't given up.