Monday, February 20, 2006

Our New Pup!



Meet "Ziggy"!!! A new year's puppy (7 weeks old). Terrier/Pomeranian mix. Just got him Saturday. Kiddo came up with his full name: Ziggy Pinacolada Zing Serj (last name).

I'm just tingly about him! Since our Sheltie Collie, Teeny, passed away(at the age of 14) in August, we haven't had a dog. And I AM a DOG PERSON. Must. Have. One. - Can't be without... YET my husband had me convinced that, since we're moving in June (and probably bunking with my parents for a few months) that we didn't need a dog until we got settled in a new place. I could see his logic. yessireee. I can be logical....but only for so long...hehehe.

So, to draw a short story out, we'd gone to the flea market Saturday morning, just to browse and buy little crap we don't need, and there were four cages with several different breeds of pups ranging in price from $200 to $650. Kiddo and I would have been happy to pet them all day while trying to pursuede Daddy-O to come off some Bennys. Wasn't happening. Eventually, we dragged a pouting kiddo to the car.

We got a few miles behind us and Daddy-O pulled down into a lane I didn't recognize. The Animal Shelter! Woo-Hoo!
Until we walked up to the door...
and
they
were
CLOSED!
UUHHH! We'd finally talked Daddy-O into a pup (as long as it didn't chew up a car payment) and all that stood between us and a new pup was a locked door. I was tempted to break in the back, swipe a little fuzzball and leave $40 on the table.
Because I'm not felonius by nature, we drove home and I called around to see who was open. (P.S.A. to anyone who works at a shelter: "BE OPEN ON SATURDAYS! That's when families are together-they adopt pets together. I bet y'all could place more) Only Steve's Pet Shop was open till 5 p.m. So we hopped back into the car.
Dear old Steve had different breeds and higher prices than the flea market, so that turned out to be a walk-by petting. We bought a couple newspapers, no luck there, either.

The last ditch effort was the bulletin board at the grocery store. BINGO (was his name-o) FREE PUPPIES on a bright orange sign. Called on the cell, drove six blocks. The lady said she'd just put up the sign that very morning. Imagine our luck!
Kiddo picked the runt. We always pick the runt. They're the best. And Daddy-O likes the price.

Well, I gotta go, I have months worth of playing a petting to catch up on. And if these pics work I probably be posting more.
P.S. Giving myself a plug: I crocheted that afghan Ziggy is sitting on, and those are the stubby little fingers that did it.
Here's a positive on this georgous Monday: If you don't have something with fur living in your house, go adopt one from your local shelter. (But call first and make sure they're open)
Pets are healthy for you, too!
We have a new family member, John-Boy
The Happy Medium

0 comments: