Smoking Confession - Part 2
I very rarely comment on anyone's blog, though I do read several. (I am a world-class lurker) Mostly the blogs I try to keep up with are those written by the neat people at AbsoluteWrite
Water Cooler . This morning, I was reading Vanessa's blog. This entry caught my attention... OK, more than that...
Can I apologize here? I mean, not just for me, but on behalf of every smoker who is/was in denial/rebellion of how smoking affects others.
Seriously, I apologize.
A couple weeks ago, when I started cutting back on my smoking, one of the many reasons was because my daughter came home from school and said that another kid asked her if she smoked. She said NO. He said he was wondering because her bookbag smelled like smoke. HOLY SHIT! Now, I don't smoke in her room, and the only time I even see the thing is when she's on her way out the door or coming home. I didn't realize...well, I've apologized to her, too.
Last night, I grabbed a pajama shirt out of my closet and put it on over a pair of sweats. On the way out to the kitchen, I'm thinking, "What's that smell?" And because I couldn't identify it, I called the kiddo to come sniff me.
She smells the pajama shirt and says, "Mom, it smells like smoke. Now that you're not smoking so much, you can smell it." Good Grief.
I'm embarrassed to be writing this, but awareness is a positive - definitely.
Go outside, John-Boy
The Happy Medium







2 comments:
Hi Jen,
This is really good. I applaud your efforts in cutting back. Due to my allergies, smoking is definitely a problem for me. Thank you for stopping by my lil' world and thanks for acknowledging the post. I didn't know you live in Baton Rouge. See ya around the boards.
Hi Vanessa - I didn't know you were in B. R. either till I read your profile. (I bet the cane fields burning is aggravating your allergies lately - I don't have allergies-but my sinuses are screaming for mercy)
I'm glad you came to read my post. After I wrote it, I hoped you wouldn't think of it as a sneaky trick to get you here. Struggling the way I have with smoking the past few weeks, your post moved me to think (and write) in a way I wouldn't have allowed myself to more than a month ago.
Hugs, Jen
Post a Comment