Friday, March 02, 2007

Lung Capacity - Guinea Pig POV

One week ago I hadn't stopped smoking yet, but I was on the elliptical...gunnin' for a mile - HA!
Get this: after 0.16 mile huffing, puffing, hurting and (I have no idea why) I could feel my heartbeat in my bottom teeth. Yet my pulse had barely reached 100. By 0.50 mile I'd have to stop for a while, panting like a prostitute on payday, but barely breaking a sweat.
This is when I realise there's a difference between beating hard and beating fast.
Today I made it 1.34 miles. Yes huffing, yup puffing, but my heart wasn't pounding hard. I could control my breaths and inhale more deeply without my chest screaming. Broke a sweat at 0.82 miles.
("I felt my plaque start flowing" - Dan Ackroyd to John Candy in The Great Outdoors)
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) or YLCMV (Your Lung Capacity May Vary)
The Happy Medium
Technorati Tag:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It can only get better as you move along. Well wishes upon this journey.

ZenJen~ said...

I'm finding it fascinating to see how my body behaves as it gets well. OH - and my sense of smell is TOTALLY out of whack!

Unknown said...

Good for you. Cold Turkey is the only way to really quit. This way, you are controlling it and not a false crutch of some sort. I love your blog, great content and a real personal touch. I will link to it from my blog. My readers will enjoy it.
http://www.abundantlifestylenow.blogspot.com

ZenJen~ said...

Well thank you for that Wanda! Your blog has a neat angle.
- Jen