Carnivale - The Loose Ends
...an early morning rant... no 3rd season
(and yes, I'm aware I'm a day late and a dollar short in agonising over this, but some rants are timeless)
Evidently there's only two seasons of HBO's Carnivale. (We've rented both seasons over the past few weeks) Lovely. Isn't that always the way? You get engrossed, entangled with plots and sub-plots and characters that make you think. It's brain-food. Few and far between are any tv series that could stand up to an engaging novel. You know what kind of novels I mean...the ones that have more twists and turns than a Blue Ridge Mountain road. The ones you go to bed thinking about. They Stick. The ones that, after reading 400 pages, you look up from the print and wonder what the hell room you're in. The Carnivale series was in a class of it's own.
I read a sentence one of the execs had written in 2005 on the savecarnivale.org. He said, "I mean how does one mass-market esoterica?" (Clancy Brown) {See edit at bottom}
You're kidding me, right? Esoterica = things understood by or meant for a select few
Why? because the show had uncommon characters in an uncommon setting?
So, I guess the main stream, mass-marketable stuff are those idiotic half hour sitcoms, or any one of two dozen damn near cookie cutter cop shows.
Question:
Does the majority of couch potatoes want cop shows...and so the networks give us what we want - or... do the networks keep cranking out cop shows, so we just gorge on the plate set before us? (Wouldn't most of us rather have shows with depth and breadth and meat on their bones?)
On a side note: I do realise I'm throwing HBO in the same heap as the other networks. Two points about that... 1. If HBO wants to stand out and be different, they should continue with shows like Carnivale. 2. I haven't subscribed to HBO in more than ten years. I've caught it here and there when we've gotten free weekends or set up new cable service, and to be honest, every time I wanted to watch a decent movie (give HBO another chance), I kept catching the original Rocky. uggh. When I'm ready for an evening of movies, it's worth it to me to toddle down to Family Video.
EDITED(PS - I apologize! Being caught up in the rant flowing from my feverish head to my fingers, I misspoke about Clancy Brown being a exec. Anonymous has set me straight in the comments. Thanks.)
Alright-I'm done.
The Happy Medium







5 comments:
I've never heard of this show until now. The buzz never reached the Great White North.
I share your pain though. I still miss "Frank's Place" and "The Texas Wheelers" - two brilliant series (albeit sitcoms) that were fresh, funny and intelligent - and therefore doomed.
My guilty pleasure lately is Battlestar Galactica. Don't get me started....
Clancy Brown isn't one of the executives on Carnivale, he's one of the stars. He plays Brother Justin. Clancy has been really supportive of the show, appearing at the CarnyCon Carnivale convention last year and participating in live chats with the fans, etc.. He and a lot of the other folks from the cast and crew have been very active in trying to bring attention to the show and get it back on the air. Here's hoping they succeed someday! Carnivale is terrific!
Anon - You're right! {smacks head} I knew that- it was one of those "DUH" moments, I guess. I've apologized in an edit at the bottom of the original post.
I've subscribed to HBO for about ten years and HBO on demand for three. I'm about ready to cancel because of this kind of lack of regard for their viewers. Carnivale was/is brilliant, yet we're left hanging.
Hi Frank & Skeet! Iam so lost lately the only thing I look forward to on TV cooking shows.. and thats just sad.
Frank - maybe you can rent Carnivale up there in the GWN.
Skeet - if youre channel surfing and happen upon anything with that "feel", let me know.
Post a Comment